Raw food naturally contains the proper types and proportion of enzymes to assist in its own digestion. Food enzymes are released by the action of chewing, which ruptures the food’s cell membranes. Like salivary enzymes, raw food enzymes play an important role in human digestion by predigesting food in the upper stomach, where contents may sit for as long as an hour before gastric secretions begin their action.
Since enzymes are essentially destroyed at 118ºF, most forms of cooking and industrial food preparation render food devoid of enzyme activity. This places the full burden of digestion on body processes and reserves. In time, this burden can weaken or overwhelm an individual’s ability to process and absorb vital food nutrients. Many health professionals believe that the prevalence of cooked and processed foods in modern society makes supplementation with digestive enzymes essential. Digestive enzymes also may be of benefit to those who experience poor digestion and absorption.
CONSIDER THESE PIONEER® ADVANTAGES:
1. Enzymes from Pancreatin: Targeting
To facilitate the digestive process, the pancreas normally releases three types of enzymes into the duodenum (upper small intestine). These enzymes help break down food that has exited the stomach. Specific pancreatic enzymes target each of the three types of macronutrients–proteins, fats and carbohydrates–as follows:
• Proteases help to break long protein chains (polypeptides) into smaller amino acid chains and eventually into single amino acids.
• Lipases help to split fats (as triglycerides) into free fatty acids and glycerol.
• Amylases help to reduce large carbohydrates (starches and other polysaccharides) to disaccharides (sucrose, maltose and lactose) and monosaccharides (glucose, fructose, galactose). Research suggests that taking supplemental pancreatin may help provide nutritive support for healthy digestion. PIONEER’s quadruple strength enzyme blend (as Pancreatin 4X) contains natural digestive enzymes derived from pig pancreas.
2. Traditional Digestive Herbs. Meaningful levels of top
quality traditional digestive herbs–as concentrated extracts and
whole herb powders–truly distinguish PIONEER® Digestive Enzymes
& Herbs from other digestive enzyme products. The unique blend of
herbs in this formula may help benefit digestive health by serving as
digestive tonifiers (to help strengthen and soothe digestive membranes),
bitters (to help support digestive enzyme and bile secretions) and
carminatives. Digestive Enzymes & Herbs provides the equivalent of
815 mg raw herb per capsule:
• Organic Ginger – a classic digestive tonifier and aromatic bitter that may help counteract nausea
• Peppermint & Fennel – used for centuries to help soothe digestion
• Artichoke & Gentian (perhaps the most bitter of the herbal gastric stimulants) – offer nutritive support for liver and gallbladder
• Cayenne – a tonifying digestive stimulant, traditionally used by herbalists to augment absorption of herbs and other nutrients
3. Enterically Coated Capsule: Helps Preserve Enzyme Activity & Integrity. Pancreatic enzymes require a high pH, alkaline environment to remain active. These enzymes may be damaged if exposed to low pH, acidic conditions such as found within the stomach where the first stage of digestion takes place. To help prevent such premature exposure and loss of bioactivity, Digestive Enzymes & Herbs is offered in an enterically-coated cellulose capsule. Enteric coating is designed to help the capsules travel intact through the stomach into the higher alkaline environment of the duodenum, where pancreatic enzyme digestion normally begins. Enteric coating also helps to preserve and protect the peppermint oil in the herbal portion of the formula. Research suggests that enterically coated peppermint oil may help provide nutritive support for digestive ease and comfort.
4. Verified Gluten-Free. As with all PIONEER® formulas, Digestive Enzymes & Herbs is verified gluten-free by ELISA method laboratory testing. Current, sophisticated gluten testing methods may not be able to confirm the gluten-free status of vegetarian (fungal) digestive enzymes, many of which are produced in a wheat-based fermentation medium. However, animal-sourced pancreatic enzymes can be verified gluten-free. PIONEER proudly provides this assurance.
Digestive Enzymes & Herbs 120 vcaps
Formerly known as Digestive Enzyme Complex
Serving Size: 1 vegetarian capsule
Servings Per Container: 120
Amount Per Serving:
Pancreatin 4X (supplying Protease [35,000 USP units], Amylase [35,000 USP units], Lipase [2,800 USP units]) 350 mg
Organic Ginger (Z. officinalis) Root 100 mg
Fennel (F. vulgare) Seed Extract (4:1 concentrate) 75 mg
Peppermint (M. piperita) Leaf Extract (2% essential oil) 50 mg
Gentian (G. lutea) Root Extract (5:1 concentrate) 50 mg
Artichoke (C. scolymus) Leaf Extract (2% caffeic acids) 50 mg
Cayenne (C. annuum) Fruit 15 mg
Other Ingredients: vegetarian capsule (cellulose), maltodextrin (carrier), acacia (carrier), vegetable magnesium stearate, silica, cellulose
Directions: Use only as directed. Take 1 vegetarian capsule at the beginning of each meal. Store in a cool, dry place.
Warning: Do not use if safety seal is broken or missing. Keep out of reach of children. Keep your licensed health care practitioner informed when using this product, especially if you have gallstones. Do not use if you have gastric or duodenal ulcers or gastric irritation or inflammation.
This product has been independently verified gluten-free. It contains no added artificial preservatives, colors or flavors and undergoes a rigorous heavy metal, pesticide, herbicide and fungicide screening process.