Contact by Phone 1-213-283-8099
# A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Go Back   Health Food, Vitamin and Supplement Forum > Demographic Groups > Seniors' Health

Old April 19th, 2010, 01:06 PM
Default seniors should not be driving.?

I am concerned about the age and well being of some drivers. I recently saw an old man driving really bad and he looked to be about the age of 90. i was really worried because he could really hurt someone. i think once a person passes a certain age they should have to retest to makesure that they are safe to be on the road, anyone disagree?
Old April 19th, 2010, 01:47 PM

i agree and disagree.. for example some 90 yr olds are still in very good shape. but yeah othere yeah i thik some are in denial but they still need to get there daily items maybe like pills or something. so its mixed feelings.. becasue liek you said someone can get hurt.. but then again maybe they dont have someone who can alwasy take them
Old April 19th, 2010, 01:51 PM

im on the same page with you, i think its both because you want someone who needs to get pills and other items but then why cant they take a cab where they need to go or some towns offer free senior shuttles that shuttle around seniors to and from for a very low fee. that means to Dr appointments, to the market, anywhere they need to go.
Old April 23rd, 2010, 12:30 PM

i think its dangrous to have an elderly person on the road simply because their reaction times are very delayed, plus there are so many things that they might not hear( like a fire engine) or might not see ( speed limit signs, small children) it could be very dangrous. i think they should have to pass the driving exam yearly to be able to drive once there 70.
Old April 24th, 2010, 05:35 PM

I'd say it should be on a case by case basis. There are seniors who are around 60-80 and are in excellent physical shape and can function even as old as they are. However, I'd say in general, I agree that when you get past a certain age, you need checks to make sure you're able to drive properly still.
Old April 30th, 2010, 12:28 PM

seniors need to be tested every so often because they can age or can have a medical problem and they should not be able to drive if they have some kind of condition that might lessen their reaction times or cause them not to see or hear properly. it can be very dangrous but then again its up to california to set those standards.