Contact by Phone 1-213-283-8099
# A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Go Back   Health Food, Vitamin and Supplement Forum > Demographic Groups > Child and Teen Health

Old February 10th, 2010, 05:07 PM

Default text messaging and kids.

i recently bought my daugther a phone . and the reasoj for that was that she was alwasy using my phone and i had another line on the account that no one was using. well anyways.. shes constantly texting and im getting a little concerned about what shes sending and recieving.
kids are not like how we were at their age.. so i mean i dont want to be that movie that invides her space but i kinda feel like i have too.. and ready the messages?
what do you think?
Old February 10th, 2010, 06:11 PM

i mean yeah shes obviously not going to like the fact that your going through her phone and reading her text messages but sometimes you have to do that.. i understand where your coming from tho. its like you dont want to push her away becasue you want her to be able to comminuicate with you when somethings bothering her.. so i get it.. its a tough situation
Old February 13th, 2010, 04:56 PM

Do not read the messages. Think about when you were a kid. Did your parents invade your privacy, and if they did, did you feel bad or feel like you're just a child?

Personally, your kid is going to be texting and making phone calls like other people. Unless you find out what they're doing is really devious or bad or anything like that, just leave them alone and let them do what they want.
Old February 16th, 2010, 01:51 PM

i agree do not check or read through the messages unless you know something is up. other then that let them deal with it on thier own just like when you were younger.. my little sister recently got a phone and before that she use to txt with my phone and i never read her txt's
Old February 16th, 2010, 03:40 PM

well i see both sides of this. the real question is how old is your child.. i say if there under 12 then it is ok to read and check their messages its just making sure that there safe, its like when parents need to moniter their childrens activitys on the internet! i think its a parents right to know who your txting. not read the messages but at least know who your child it talking to..
Old February 17th, 2010, 02:51 PM

I agree if you're kid is a preteen you seriously should not check. It ruins your relationship and shows her that you don't trust her at all which is not what you want especially if she's about to start high school soon. You could always go to the phone company and get her messages that way. thats what I'll do if I really was concerned. But that does sound kinda bad. But it is better than taking her phone. Jus don't blow up on her if she has been sending messages she shouldn've.
Old February 17th, 2010, 06:52 PM

im not sure how i feel about giving a child a phone before the age of 13. i mean for some kids it comes in very hand to have a phone but if you raise your children your self and you drop them off and pick them up from school there should be no real need for them to have a cell phone.. once you start dropping them off places where no other parent will be then thats when your child shoul dbe getting a phone.
Old February 19th, 2010, 11:54 AM

yeah i didnt get my phone until senior year of highschool and i graduated in 07! haha it was a christmas gift and i only used it for a short time until i eventually got my own line.. but anyways i wonder how i got to places becasue i never had a phone to txt or call anyone.
Old February 19th, 2010, 04:20 PM

Yeah I think it really depends on how old your child is because if they are preteen or teen than it most likely will ruin your relationship with them but if their still really young then I dont think that checking their messages is that bad. You can always see who they are texting on the phone bill so if it isn't too out of character than it should be ok. Just watch their behavior if there really is alot of concern then of course I think you should act upon it.
Old February 22nd, 2010, 05:14 PM

Its not the best thing to do...Especially if your daughter is very if your daughter doens rationalize that well. Like my mom used to ask to see my younger brother's and he wouldn't care. Mostly cause he didn't care or he deleted my messages before he gave it to her. My mom knew me so she didn't even go there with me and ask...I would tell her no off the bat. and if she threatened to cut my phone off...I wouldn't care. But it depends on your daughter...but my best advice is don't do it. Trust her enough to believe that she knows better.