Contact by Phone 1-213-283-8099
# A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Go Back   Health Food, Vitamin and Supplement Forum > Demographic Groups > Women's Health

Old December 12th, 2009, 03:24 PM

Default On being an aunt

Im am about to become an aunt for the first time. My younger sister is having a baby and although we are not close, I know I will be there for the child. I do not live close, in fact we live states away, so how do I be an aunt to a child that lives on the other side of the country. I do not want to be that aunt that you know you have but don't know who they are except for a card on holidays. Any ideas?
Old December 14th, 2009, 01:24 PM

send her gifts and write her notes...even if she's just a baby when she's older and can talk call her and talk with her...just to get to know her and show her that you care. Also you can saddle up to ur sister and form a closer relationship with her. she'll understand if you just say you wanna be there for you niece and for her as well. Then you visit if you can maybe during the holidays....you can even have your sister visit you. Congrats by the way.
Old December 15th, 2009, 06:23 PM

one of my aunts when i was younger lived in hawaii and she would always send me gifts and auntie love packages.. that included a video she made filling me in about her life and how much she missed me. she would randomly send small gifts or what not and she would always send pictures and letters to me and that keep us close. when i was still a baby she would right me letter and stuff that i was able to read when i got older.. then once she moved back to the main land it was like she was here the whole time.
Old December 22nd, 2009, 03:59 PM

ok i like karolinas idea do the whole video thing and write to her she will really like it when she gets older and then maybe it will cause u guys to become close. i think thats a great way to keep in contact with the new baby.. even tho she wont really know you at frist i think it will be a good idea.. mom cousin dose something simular when she leaves her kids with a baby sitter.. she video tapes her self saying hi to the kids and she reads a story on the tape so when the kids start to worrie the babysitter just plays the video and gives the older kids a book to follow along to and the younger ones just watch the tv. it reallly helps.
Old January 8th, 2010, 04:17 PM

I think yeah just send gifts and letters once in awhile to make the baby feel like you're their for them. Also try to visit as much as you can so it won't be like he or she never met you before. at least the baby will know who you are and have some kind of memory of you when they grow older.
Old January 9th, 2010, 05:15 PM

Only thing that I can think of is to try and be involved in the child's life, whether it would be sending cards, videos, gifts, or even try and visit. You just need to be there if you really want to have an impact on that kid's life.

Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it, you'll eventually meet the child and then you can decide on what to do.
Old January 22nd, 2010, 11:56 AM

i wouldnt stress it too much until the baby is old enough to know your name and to remember you being in their life, i mean it would be lovely to be there all the time for the child but if you cant then just do what you can and you can always sent a card or letter to be read to the child. good luck and hope you form a good relationship with the child.
Old January 23rd, 2010, 05:37 PM

I agree with Charity. Personally, I have to say, if you really want to be involved with the child's life, you gotta do that. In any case, I would say not to worry about it because when you meet the child, you can make a good impression...in any case, that's what I think.
Old February 24th, 2010, 11:29 AM

You should call when he/she is old enough to talk and go visit or something. Like I'm sure that your sister's going to visiting your parents because of the new born baby and all that. SO if you don't want to actually go to her house to visit her since you guys aren't that close or whatever just slid on over to you mom nd dads house were you guys have neutral ground or whatever.

Also try and mend things with your sister...
Old March 3rd, 2010, 11:35 AM

Ruby said it pretty well. Meet your sister on mutual ground. And you seriously need to mend things with her. Especially if you want to be active in the baby's life. I'm happy for you though!! CONGRATS!! Being an aunt is amazing. I've been one since I was 7 and I'm now learning to appreciate it. My brother just had a baby and man I'm a proud auntie!!! I love Babies they're so cute