Contact by Phone 1-213-283-8099
# A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Go Back   Health Food, Vitamin and Supplement Forum > Electronics > Consumer Electronics

Old December 12th, 2009, 02:47 PM

Default Computer

I am looking for a new computer. I do not want a Mac, that I am certain of. But I am limited on cash (of course! its christmas time lol) and I need it mainly for school use. I am starting my masters classes and need something that I can store a lot of research articles and essays on. What sort of comuter should I be lookign at? What type of memory do you computer wiz folks think I would need for storing pdf files (books, articles etc all text and charts)? I simply have no idea and I cant stand being pressured by the best buy folks.
Old December 16th, 2009, 01:23 PM

My two big companies that I would look at if I were you would be Dell and HP they have alot of options and they're really nice. My grandma recently got a dell computer it was around $500. Its really nice..Caught me by suprise when I was hooking it up for her...because I have a mac and It was kindof similar the way the desktop was situated. It still shocks me thinkin bout it. One of the computures at my house is an HP and I love it!!
Old January 15th, 2010, 05:37 PM

i think that Hp would be a good option. I personally have an HP and I think it works great. Mines pretty old already so I am sure that if you get one it will probably have better features than mine does. I dont really know about that memory stuff but I think a regular sized memory would probably be good enough.
Old February 6th, 2010, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallon Lusckndy View Post
I am looking for a new computer. I do not want a Mac, that I am certain of. But I am limited on cash (of course! its christmas time lol) and I need it mainly for school use. I am starting my masters classes and need something that I can store a lot of research articles and essays on. What sort of comuter should I be lookign at? What type of memory do you computer wiz folks think I would need for storing pdf files (books, articles etc all text and charts)? I simply have no idea and I cant stand being pressured by the best buy folks.
I would say you want to be looking for something that is mainly for office use in my opinion. If your main focus with this computer is to do school work with basic capabilities and can store a lot of research, you should try seeing and comparing the PCs that are meant for office use. They are usually low-end, but if your main focus is for it to store articles and essays, you'll be fine, and plus, with a PC, you can upgrade with different parts as time goes on. I think, personally, a minimum of 1gig of memory will be fine for most functions, but I'd go with 2 since you may be using Adobe Reader/Acrobat a lot for those PDFs.
Old February 8th, 2010, 12:19 PM

yeah i have a similar question i would really like to get a laptop but not charge it to everything i dont care if its a 500 dollar one i just really want one.. tax refund i'll use it all hha ai just want a laptop!
Old February 13th, 2010, 05:14 PM

Hmm.....well, if you really want a laptop, you really need to consider what sort of use you want to have it do. Like if you want to use it for school, or if you want to use it for art or games, try and do some research and get the best laptop for the job....then use a tax refund. xD

At the very least, that's what I think.
Old February 19th, 2010, 04:31 PM

I really like sony laptops. I have a sony laptop it is kind of old but it still works great. I just like it better than other ones. it is always reliable and doesn't crash I know some laptops crash very easily. Like a guy in my class just recently got a dell laptop and it crashed like the very first day he got it so he is sending it back. I think hp and sony pc's are just more reliable right now. But do search around and see the differences between the different pcs
Old February 20th, 2010, 04:57 PM

To me, E-Machines are what I like a lot. E-Machines are very cheap, and depending on what you want, you can get a great bargain for either a office-type computer, as well as graphic/game-type computers.

It's what I use when I am on a budget, but personally, i would build my comp.
Old February 27th, 2010, 06:12 PM

Building a COMP is really such an awesome thing. You pretty much build the computer from scratch, you buy all the parts that you can get, and you build it. If you get some basic help, it's actually pretty easy to set up or modify your COMP. But yeah....it's really cool. If you have the time AND the movie, I'd recommend doing that first.
Old March 6th, 2010, 06:15 PM

Personally, I would check to see websites like Newegg and Amazon in order to see if you can find any more deals on the web. On top of that, I would make sure to check out the newspapers to see if there are any deals for computers and laptops for sale at Best Buy and Electronic Fry's. Otherwise, just keep looking.