Contact by Phone 1-213-283-8099
# A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Go Back   Health Food, Vitamin and Supplement Forum > Demographic Groups > Child and Teen Health

Old December 8th, 2009, 06:27 PM

Default letting your child choose their own outfit?

my neice has gotten to the age where she wants to start picking out her own outfits but the problem is the outfits she picks are like rain boots with a tutu and a long sleeve shirt. what is the correct age to let her choose what she wears and should the parent be concered with how the child looks. should my sister make sure she matches?
Old December 9th, 2009, 12:14 PM

HAHAHA...this brings back memories, I was the same way when I was a kid. I though my mom was the enemy stomping on my creative spirit. Even though I looked rediculous I was proud because I got the pick it out myself. Eventually my mom got tired of my crazy fashion sense and Would lay out 3 outfits and have me choose which one I wanted to wear. That worked for both of use...it was the perfect compromise.
Old December 9th, 2009, 04:48 PM

i should try the 3 outfit idea with my little sister.. shes ten but still haha shes alwasy fussing about which" skinnyjeans to wear" and which topes go with it.. but yeah i thin its cute when little kids want to dres themselves.. i would wsay i think about 7, 8.9 is a good time becaseu they understand fashion and what they like and dont like
Old December 9th, 2009, 06:36 PM

hahaha how cute! a tutu yeah little kids are so cute ven when they dont meant oo its funny because im not a baby person but i love little kids like 3 4 5 and on like my little sister is now 10 and i remember when she was little i adored her soo much
Old December 11th, 2009, 12:53 PM

its sad to say but my daughter gets really hurt when i try to explain that her red tights cant be worn with her brown shirt and pink skirt. ohh and her running style shoes.. haha she is like but mommy. i feel so bad she goes i wish you were like grandma... my mother encourages her to wear the things she wants.. (thats why i wore un maching clothes untill middle school.. i didnt know i needed to match.. my mother never taught me that). i think its great my daughter wants to pick and choose her own outfits but i think i might adopt that whole 3 outfit rule and just inforce it. i tried it a few times n she would mix and match those 3 outfits..
Old December 11th, 2009, 02:45 PM

i love watching my baby sister whos 3 and a half years old argue with my mom that she dosent want to wear pants she wants to wear her leggings ( its raining out side) or that she wants to wear her green dress with a orange shirt n pink tights.. haha if i take her out i always make her match her clothes and i do her hair.. she agrees with me but argues with my mom about everything else. haha i love her
Old December 12th, 2009, 03:28 PM

I would say if you are not going out to dinner or someplace where you should dress in a certian way that the child should be allowed to pick out there own clothes. By allowing them to pick and supporting their choices you are building a bond. Also, it helps the child build self confidence. If they get a negative reaction from someone about what they are wearing (prolly kids, you know any adult will think it looks adorable) they will learn the skills to deal and become stronger for it.
Old December 15th, 2009, 03:55 PM

i think there is times your child should be dressed a certain way.. such as dinner, formal event or special event. other than that i say your child should be able to express themselfs any way that they choose. even if that means being un matched, with two diffrent shoes. it shows your childs creative side and that they are trying to express them selfs
Old December 15th, 2009, 05:56 PM

i feel like one of those mothers who is just like omg i cant believe my child is wearing that... even tho the problem is my neice, she loves to wear all kinds of crazy outfits and she and i spend ALOT of time together. i basically raise her during the week, and she thows a hissy fit if i try and put her in a really cute outfit..i personally only shop at gymborree and kids stores liek that so their outfits are adorable.. she hates them and wants to mix and match EVERYTHIGN.. haha i hate when my purse dosent match my shoes let alot walking with a child who does not match anything at all.. haha
Old December 16th, 2009, 12:49 PM

I was so happy when my mother let me start choosing my own outfits...I would actually color coordinate my clothes though so had no problem with that. I would be so proud and practically tell everybody that I picked out my own outfit. Now I wish my mom would pick them out for me so I dont have to worry about it. But of course she wont. Sometimes but only if i'm going somewhere extra special then she might go out and buy me a nice dress or help me pick one...yes my mom buys my dresses even though i'm in college...I'm a starving student lol