Contact by Phone 1-213-283-8099
# A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Go Back   Health Food, Vitamin and Supplement Forum > Health and Wellness > Personal Health Issues

Old December 8th, 2009, 05:25 PM

Default addiction issues

whats the best way to help someone who is suffering from addiction. everybody is telling me that there is nothing you can do to help some one who is suffering from addiction unless they want help and that they are wanting to change. is there any advice anybody can offer. should we try an intervention or something or just let them suffer? im worried and do not knwo what to do.
Old December 8th, 2009, 06:19 PM

my oldest brother suffers from addiction and at first he didnt wanna change he was content with his life style and his addiction. after a year of learning that he was not welcome around the family long as he continued to use then he decided he wanted help. we send him to rehab and he has changed his life he as gotten married and had a daughter who means the world to him and she is what keeps him clean becuase he knows he screws up and he loses all chances with his baby.
Old December 8th, 2009, 06:48 PM

addiction is a horrible thing. you should seek help for the person who has the problem the best thing is getting professional help. that way the person gets the best help he or she can recieve. i have gone to school and recieved my degree and i am a trained therapist and the best thing to do is gain help from someone who knows how to treat the addiction.
Old December 9th, 2009, 12:02 PM

It is somewhat true that the person needs to see for themselves that they do have a problem...and try not to force yourself on them because it would just make matters worse. Set rules for when they're around for how they should act. Its a horrible thing to have an addiction and to be in denial because it seems like if everyone is against you and that may cause them to distance themselves even more. Just be supportive...its hard but if you really care for that person it would be worth it. Eventually they would realize how they're actions are not hurting only them but the people the love and care about and they'll come around and seek proffessional help.
Old December 12th, 2009, 04:04 PM

I struggled with smoking for years. I kept trying to quit and then i would just go back to it. I am not sure, but I finally quit smoking for good in sept and havent even really wanted to smoke sense. I wasnt planning on quiting when I started back up the last time. I quit because my fiance wouldnt stop harping on me about how bad it was for my health. So I dont know about not pushing them. I think you should.
Old December 22nd, 2009, 06:31 PM

solaine- i think you are right to a certain point but then again you quit because u love him and u know how much it bothers him.. when i had my addiction to drugs people would keep bugging me about it and finally i totally just shut my world out and left.. when i found my self living in a crack heads house and saw what a negative position i was in i asked for help and checked my self in to rehab. i have been clean 7 years now.
Old January 5th, 2010, 01:50 PM

i think the hardest thing to watch and witness in a hard core addication case is withdrawls.. because i mean the person is in serious pain from these withdraws its crazy how dependant they became on something. anyways . i think support is just what they need it might not alwasy help but really what else can you do
Old January 30th, 2010, 06:28 PM

I think the biggest thing that you can do is to make sure that the person becomes aware that they have an addiction. This is why people hold interventions, so that the person becomes aware of his addiction, and then it is up to him or her to decide what to do with it. They have to change for themselves because if they change for someone else, or you make them change, their heart will not be in it. So it's up to them.