Contact by Phone 1-213-283-8099
# A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Go Back   Health Food, Vitamin and Supplement Forum > Demographic Groups > Seniors' Health

Old December 4th, 2009, 12:59 PM

Default Honest opions please.

I have a 86 year old grandmother. she has lost her licence because they said she was unfit to drive, slow reflexes and bad vision. she has recently asked all of her grandkids, and children to instead of buying her gifts jsut please add the money towards her Golf cart fund.. my only problem should we allow her to drive a golf cart? she is planning on takeing in on the road to transport herself from her oldest daughters house and her own. im torn becaause i donot think she should be driving that on the road.
Old December 7th, 2009, 01:27 PM

I agree with you, plus I think you need a drivers license to ride those things on the street anyway, if you drive any motorized vehicle. The hard would be trying to convince you're family that this is an issue that they all need to take into deep consideration. You all should sit you're grandma down and maybe come up with an alternative solution to her driving situation. Good Luck!!!
Old December 8th, 2009, 03:17 PM

well i mean if thats what your grandma wants i would do it becasue thats what shes want.. but your right she shouldnt be driving it i think its best to let her ask for money and for someone to causally bring it up as a family to see if you need a liscense or ask the person weho she is purchasing the cart from so she hears it herself.. does that make sense??
Old December 8th, 2009, 03:47 PM

I am not sure if all states are like ours but you are able to drive golf carts long as you are over the age of 16. In Arizona if you get you golf cart licensed then you can drive it on the street, i know that in CA you are not allowed to drive golf carts on any street or highway. check with state regulations and also explain to your grandma that for her own safty she should not drive on the road.
Old December 8th, 2009, 04:01 PM

yeah id go with what gersielle said.. becasue liken she said there are different rulesand laws in differen states so yeah anywyas hopefully your grand realizes that what you guys are tying to do is for the best and doesnt make you feel bad about anything
Old December 12th, 2009, 03:41 PM

You could paint it a seriously bright orange color and put a caution sign on the back and front lol. I think if you DONT let her drive one (if it is legal of course) you might have to face a possible depression from the loss of her indepenece. Also, if the two houses are close, it would be better than to make her walk.
Old December 21st, 2009, 04:48 PM

Like Geriselle said every state has their own rules and regulations in regards to traffic and vehicle laws. As a family you guys should look into it and then examine your options. Your grandma probably feels horrible right now because her independance is gone...keep that in mind when you guys tell her decision what ever that is. I dont think its a good Idea for her to be driving a golf cart though because her reflexes are off and her eye sight is bad...if she gets into an accident it wouldnt go that great for her...a golf cart isn't safe at all.
Old January 26th, 2010, 02:10 PM

if she lost her liscence hmm well thats ahrd its obviously for her onw good and she shouldnt be driving.. but why dont you tell her she cant drive on the strre with those or soemthing .. im sure after awhile she wll know its for her safty
Old January 30th, 2010, 05:00 PM

I'[d say it depends on the area she is driving it too. If she is riding it on the background or on the course she is at...otherwise, I wouldn't recommend it. At least with the other tow, they are relatively safe areas.

I'd say go for it, but be careful.b
Old February 6th, 2010, 05:08 PM

I imagine that she would need a license to drive there, or to even be in the driver's seat of the golf cart, and if she plans on taking it in the road, she's in trouble, especially since the golf cart cannot go as fast, as I imagine, and would be hard to keep up with today's cars.