Contact by Phone 1-213-283-8099
# A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Go Back   Health Food, Vitamin and Supplement Forum > Demographic Groups > Women's Health

Old November 19th, 2009, 06:41 PM

Default Nail polish + Preggo

i know that dying your hair when your pregnant is a no go.. but how about painting your nails? my best friend is pregnant right now and doesn't know if it is okay to paint her finger nails and toe nails.. is it okay or is the smell and chemical in the polish bad for the baby?
Old November 21st, 2009, 03:56 PM

I think she would be fine as long as she isn't painting them everyday or every other day. Also if she is worried she can wear those masks that they do at nail places. Just to be sure she could ask her doctor but I have never heard of that beign a problem. I have also had my nails done at places and there are preggo woman who work there.
Old December 4th, 2009, 01:10 PM

well i dont think it will do any serious damage to her unborn baby but i do know inhaleing the fumes can give off the same effect of huffing paint. ( i think thats what they call it.) the only think it might effect would be the babys respotory syster. make sure she paints them in a well ventaleted area and im sure she will be fine and it would be best to have a friend or someone paint them so shes not so close to the fumes.
Old December 4th, 2009, 02:31 PM

yea it can be bad. i have heard both sides of this story because some say that it can cause alot of problems with the babys breathing and development. i wouldnt risk it if i was you, i know most doctors say not to get your nails done just to be on the safe side.. the chemicals are usually super strong in the nail spas so its not good for young children either.
Old December 7th, 2009, 01:17 PM

I've heard that the chemicals from the nail polish may harm the baby if its on a regular basis. I never heard about the hair dye thing though...thats good to know. Theres lot I dont know about being pregnant but the nail polish thing was something I heard from My Aunt and a couple other people. becuase when she was pregnant she never went into a nail salon.
Old December 7th, 2009, 03:52 PM

well i hope its not okay becasue onetime i went to go get my nails done with my grandma and the lady who did my fingeres was preganant.. also one time i was watching a babystory.. before the babyw as born she wnet the gert her nails done.. and the camera was with her so im sure its okay
Old December 14th, 2009, 01:30 PM

I have heard that the fumes aren't good for the baby and Im pretty sure thats why most people who are pregnant dont go to to nail solons. I always thought it was because they didn't have time or worn't focused on petty things like getting hair/nails done around that time. But I guess it makes sense...nailpolish scent is very strong some times it even stings ur nose nd nail polish remover smells toxic...we all use them at some time but when pregnant and nauseous i totally understand why its not a good idea to.
Old December 21st, 2009, 05:09 PM

just to be on the safe side she shouldn't get her nails done until she consults her doctor. That would be the best advice for me. Go straight to a professional source. I'm sure her OBGYN would tell her what she should and shouldn't do if she isn't sure about all the particulars. like Kiana I've seen reality tv shows where the mom went to get her nails done when she was pregnant. I'm not sure if its okay though. But have her ask her doctor to make sure and be on the safe side of things.
Old December 22nd, 2009, 03:49 PM

i have seen many prego people getting their nails done im not to sure that is really a safe thing to do.. thats like the whole pumping gas when your prego its harmful to the baby because of all the chemicals and such. i agree you should check with the doctor and they can tell you the answers so that way you do not harm the baby.
Old December 23rd, 2009, 04:52 PM

the lady who did my nails was pregnate and she was working in that place.. i mean i dont think that it could be healthy for the unborn baby but i guess it just depends on the person.. i could only imagine that her child is going to pop out high of off nail polish fumes.. its going to addiction problems before its even able to crawl.. i think you could either read a baby book one that talks about the good and bad things for your children and you could also ask a doctor about it.