Contact by Phone 1-213-283-8099
# A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Go Back   Health Food, Vitamin and Supplement Forum > DVD & Blue Ray Movie > General

Old October 10th, 2009, 02:27 PM

Default Are older movies simply better?

I was watching some older movies, Aliens, Dawn of the Dead among others, and I was watching Watchmen shortly afterwards. While Watchmen looks incredible, I find myself being drawn to the older movies with the special effects isntead of CGI, and finding those more effective simply because it was real as opposed to computer.

Does anyone else think that SFX should be used more as opposed to CGI? D:
Old October 17th, 2009, 12:57 PM

Default Cgi

I think there is so much that we can do with CGI. Now I am different from you, though. I find myself unable to be intrested in older movies unless they were something that I watched a lot and loved as a kid. If its an older movie I've never seen it just stricks me as dull. I do give credit though to those movie makers and actors. They did a wonderful job with what they had to work with. I will also give credit to the actors back then because it seems that we just dont have the same acting skills as they did anymore.
Old October 19th, 2009, 10:29 AM

I think that the older movies were way better. Im in love with silent films and i think that they are amzing being that the actor/actress had to show even more emotion and be more dramatic to capture the audience's attention and to me that takes alot of talent and discipline. I love watching black and white movies personally as well mainly because they have more of a story line behind them and they are in some way make you actually think.
Old October 22nd, 2009, 04:10 PM

For some reason, I can't seem to focus on silent films.. but at the same time.. it's probably because i never really gave them a try. Have you watched Chaplin: The Movie? Although I don't watch his silent films, the movie based on him seems utterly interesting! I love black and white films.. or just old films in general! Have you watched Brand Upon the Brain? It's a black and white film but it was done in the 2000s I believe. I cant remember. It's actually a really good movie too!
Old October 24th, 2009, 05:33 PM

Personally, I'm inbetween this. While dfigital effectss are hjere tos tay and they have prodced a lt of amazing stuff, I do like the charm the older movies tend to have because they hadto make do with what they had. I think ultimately, it comes down to the movie itself and what makes is stand out.
Old October 31st, 2009, 05:41 PM

Wha? You need to do spellcheck. D:

personally, whie I do think SFX and CGI should be used together, I think what makes the older movies better is that there was a lot more thought put into them. NThere was more subtext and intelligence in the design and writing than there is today, and while some movies can be really good, most of them are churning out the same stuff, it's getting too repetitive.
Old January 11th, 2010, 05:30 PM

I think the concepts in older movies are better. The plots are more well thought out and sometimes the acting was better. It depends on the movie. Obviously the graphics are better now...no duh!!

But you'll never have a movie today being considered an ultimate Classic especially world wide...when you look at it in that sense...back in the day movies were better...
Old January 13th, 2010, 02:37 PM

Older movies are always better to watch because of the fact that they're from a totally different era. We look at old movies and we feel a sense of peace because of the simplier times, really it seemed like if there wasn't any stress at all. I love watching old movies not so much because its entertaining, well atleast not in the sense of what people today consider entertainment to be.
Old January 13th, 2010, 06:24 PM

ohh i thoughtyou guys meant like older movies as in ,. black and white and back in the day from like 50's and 60's lol i really love meet me in sanit luis i love that movie i think it super cute and ive only seen it once because they never play it
Old January 20th, 2010, 11:59 AM

Obviously newer movies are going to have the best special effects and lighting and stage set ups...but the thought put into the older movies are way better. I love them, all the movies I used to watch were Black and White. And for a while the only tv station I would watch was tvland. They showed Adam's Family, Green Acres, Bewitched...shows like that. So I guess I'm biased but old movies are classics for a reason.