Contact by Phone 1-213-283-8099
# A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Go Back   Health Food, Vitamin and Supplement Forum > Demographic Groups > Child and Teen Health

Old October 6th, 2009, 04:50 PM

Default Adult toothpaste

my son is 4 years old right now. he's still using the little kids toothpaste.. meaning the one's were you can swallow. i don't teach him to eat it or course but just incase it happens by accident. so, i was wondering.. when would be the right age to put him on the crest toothpaste? what happens if he does swallow some?
Old October 6th, 2009, 06:26 PM

nothing will happen if he only swallows a amount used to brush your teeth. the warning level is only incase your child decideds to eat the whole tube. i think it all depends on your child. has he showed that he is responsible with putting a safe amount on his toothbrush? and when he first starts using "adult" toothpaste he probably wont like it because it will taste menty where kids toothpaste is fruity. good luck and just moniter him.
Old October 16th, 2009, 06:34 PM

Default Fluoride

Children's toothpaste is made with extra levels of an important mineral, fluoride. This mineral helps the children's teeth become strong as they grow. I would suggest talking to your child's dentist about this, but I would say that he is still too young. After all, if there is any risk at all, wouldn't it be better safe than sorry?
Old October 20th, 2009, 05:45 PM

i think it just depends on the development of your childs teeth. my nephew lost his first tooth at the age of 5. but his tooth growing in behind looks like a giant chicklet. haha we teast him but his dentist says his mout will continue to grow n his teeth will look normal in a year or two and not to worrie.
Old October 28th, 2009, 02:02 PM

i know that most kids dont like adult toothpaste when they first transition for kiddy toothpaste. Its mainly because sometimes, depending on what kind of toothpaste it is, it can be too strong and give them a burning sensation in their mouths unlike the soothing that the candy bubble gum might have given them. I first started using adult toothpaste when I started first grade. I didn't like it at all but I got used to it after awhile.
Old November 12th, 2009, 06:10 PM

yeah, i remember when i let my niece try the adult toothpaste she was telling me it was 'too spicy'. lol. but we did end up getting her some kids crest toothpaste with glitter on them. they are really super bubble scented.. wait a little until they are ready..
Old November 16th, 2009, 02:39 PM

just start switching it.. and telling him not to swallow the tooth paste. my l;ittle is 10 and we just switched her randomly one day when she was bout 6 i think.. she use to complain it eas too hott but she got yse to it,
Old December 21st, 2009, 03:23 PM

Transitioning from fruity kiddy tooth paste to minty adult tooth paste is hard. It was especially for me when I was younger. I didn't make the switch until I was 8 or 9 I'm not completely sure. I didnt like it at first because I would burn my mouth but I got used to it. After trying Listerine for the first time tooth paste didn't seem that bad...My little cousin made the transition at 4...and he didn't have a problem with it...he likes the minty taste. So it also depends on the kid.
Old December 23rd, 2009, 04:18 PM

i think as long as you pay attention to the child and his or her brushing habits then i think it would be ok for you to switch them to an adult mint toothpaste. make sure you do not put too much paste on the first few times because is can be a bit spicy for them and it might discourage them from wanting to use spicy toothpaste. so take it easy on them and let them choose.
Old January 5th, 2010, 02:54 PM

do little kids toothpaste even work as well? becasue i know all the ones i have tried just taste like bubblegum and after i i use them i dont feel like they really did and effect job of cleaning my teeth haha