Contact by Phone 1-213-283-8099
# A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Go Back   Health Food, Vitamin and Supplement Forum > Health and Wellness > Fitness and Exercise

Old October 1st, 2009, 11:36 AM

Default preparing for a good work out

i don't work out a lot so i'm wondering.. what kind of preparation do i have to do before a good work out? what kind of stretches should i do before getting started? some examples would be nice. i hate working out when i was younger but now i really want to get in shape. thanks.
Old October 1st, 2009, 01:08 PM

i'm not a pro when it comes to working out but giving your body.. arms and legs a good stretch is a must. it helps you from giving your muscle a surprise 'pull'. depending what kind of work out your doing.. you should always stretch. use one arm to stretch over the other side. do some squats. it really helps.
Old October 3rd, 2009, 04:03 PM

What I've learned from the various classes I've attended is this. When you work out, you should start out with warming up your body with aerobic activity such as running or the eliptical for about 10-15 minutes. The reason is because when you stretch, your muscles will be warmer and more pliable than if you stretched right off the bat. After you stretch, then go ahead and workout. Make sure you cool down by stretching when you're done as well.
Old October 19th, 2009, 12:51 PM

just doing simple streches geared towards the major muscles in your body would help you to loosen up alot for your run. Your arms, hamstrings, calves, and back/hip area are crucial. there are many ways you can stress those areas out, it doesn't have to be complicated or long. Just enough time so that you feel your body relax a little.
Old November 6th, 2009, 03:08 PM

Default stretching out those muscles

You should always stretch out your muscles before a work out so you wont pull anything. When I was in track all we pretty much did was the normal stretches like reaching for our toes and all that. Then we would like run two laps just get warmed up. But yeah if your going to have a good workout then stretching out your muscles in my opinion is the most important thing especially if you dont work out that much. Also always start off slow dont rush into the tougher things until your body is ready for it. so yeah warming with a jog or something will help a lot.
Old December 14th, 2009, 12:49 PM

do some simple stretches to get the blood circulating and those muscles moving. Then you can do some light work out movements like jumping jax, or lunges. Its really crucial that before a work out you strech appropriately if not you might actually pull a muscle and or get a muscle cramp...which hurts like MAN!! Also if its cool outside make sure u have on sweats when you stretch on warm up because you need to warm up those muscles to get ready to do your high/low impact workout....
Old December 16th, 2009, 10:48 AM

You should make sure you warm up first its soooo important and most people dont even do it. Just by stretching and doing stuff like inverted hampstring stretches, toe touches. Doing a set of ab work outs like crunches or planks can also help your stomach muscles relax while you running later on. Plus in a way it helps tone your body even more...and you dont cramp up.
Old December 21st, 2009, 11:39 AM

It sucks when you get old and your motabolism doesnt work like it used to. Make sure that you stretch. Its sooo important. Nobody likes cramping they hurt like man....I cant even discribe it. But it hurts alot, probably the worst pain ever. So make sure you do that then when you do you're workout. Whether it was and easy or hard one just make sure you cool down afterwards. It would help keep you from being sore later on when your muscles decide to cool down on their own.
Old December 30th, 2009, 12:38 PM

You need to make sure you stretch even if you feel like if you dont need too. It would reduce the sore ness. And if you're going for a jog for instance you can just walk a little bit to get your muscles moving and your lungs open. Then you can do your run then afterwards you do the same thing to cool down and relax your muscles...
Old January 16th, 2010, 05:10 PM

Well, before you stretch, you need to warm up your muscles so that your muscles are flexible. If you stretch without warming up, you have the increased possibility of tearing your muscles. Warm up with aerobic activity for about 5-15 minutes, then do basic stretches for the muscle groups you're going to work out with...at least, that's what I'm thinking.