Contact by Phone 1-213-283-8099
# A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Go Back   Health Food, Vitamin and Supplement Forum > Health and Wellness > Personal Health Issues

Old September 28th, 2009, 03:16 PM

Default what really happens if you swallow your gum?

ive alwasy wondered?
ive swallowed alot of gum before.. on accident sometimes i dont even know it its kidna bad.. but i think ive gotten tricd of that bad habit. haha sounds so childish.
Old September 28th, 2009, 03:41 PM

idunno.. i remeber like a long time ago.. i was watching something on this person who had to have surgey to remove all the gum.. its sick.. hopefully that never happens to me haha.
Old September 28th, 2009, 06:00 PM

thats a good question i have alwasy wondered. because everyone always tells you.. do not swallow your gum when your little.. but they never tell you why or what can happen
Old September 29th, 2009, 02:56 PM

they did a special on a tv show called myth busters. but sadly i cant remember what happened. all i know is that it is not healthy to swallow too much gum. i dont think it would hurt u but over time i think it builds up in your intestins and can cause health problems later down the road if it blocks them up to much!
Old September 30th, 2009, 03:13 PM

ohh snapp.. i need to find out more because oi know this is gross but i have a horrible habit of swallowing gum horrible i basicallyt eat it like candy idunno whwtas wrong with me! haha so i need to stop.
Old October 1st, 2009, 10:39 AM

i remember being young i was always very careful about swallowing gum because someone would tell me.. they don't dissolve until 10 years later. they just stick to your organs. but at the same time.. i don't know if people wre just telling me these kind of things just to scare meee!!
Old October 3rd, 2009, 03:44 PM

I'd be careful then. I'd check out the mythbusters on that, as well as see online, but yeah, it takes a really long time for your body to completely digest the gum, so I would not recommend swallowing it.

However, unless you're a compulsive junior, I think you'll be okay regardless of the gum you swallowed.
Old October 21st, 2009, 11:52 AM

I used to swallow my gum alot, most of the time on accident. I'm not sure what it does per-se but it would be good to know for sure. I'll have to research that. Hopefully it doesn't cause any problems for me later that I'll have to have surgery to have them removed. That alone sounds painful, and expensive becuase its dealing with your esphogus. I was told when i was younger that if you do swollow your gum its not a horrible thing because it would eventually break down. But now you never know, i'll have to check that out.
Old February 9th, 2010, 06:14 PM

i really dont think anything bad happens to you if your swallow your gum. simply because they did a thing on myth busters and it said it wouldnt stay in your system for 7 years it showed that it came out. i think its an old wise tell that people used to tell their kids so that way they wouldnt swallow the gum simply because it could become a choking hazard to little kids so when you scare them they do not wanna do it.
Old February 16th, 2010, 03:38 PM

i have no idea. but thats an excellemnt question becasue i will admit it i swallow gum..and im not trying to to be gross but alot of it its probably the worst habit.. i dont do it purposely sometimes i dont even notice that i did do it.. so yeah i would relly like tostop and im sure if i knew the effecti would think twice about it