Contact by Phone 1-213-283-8099
# A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Go Back   Health Food, Vitamin and Supplement Forum > Demographic Groups > Seniors' Health

Old September 26th, 2009, 05:51 PM

Default Exercise for Seniors

I think it's important for seniors to stay as active as possible. What's the best activity a senior can do to stay active and healthy? I've heard running isn't the best thing because of the high impact on bones. Is this true? So if they can't run, should they swim, walk, or what? I've also seen seniors in the park in the morning doing Tai Chi. I think this is a good thing for them to do. My dad likes to garden and he's in good shape so maybe that is an alternative also. Any other suggestions?
Old September 28th, 2009, 02:41 PM

yeah when i took this health careers class they taught us how to do legs and arm works outs for the elderly so that there bones dont compress and tighen up like moving each toe and finger.. arm legs.. major joints.
Old September 30th, 2009, 04:18 PM

dont they have like areobics class for the elderly..??i think so like at the gym or somethig you should try and look some up and if not im sure if you go to ciry hall they have something there that your looking for.
Old October 6th, 2009, 04:00 PM

exercise for seniors are very limited compare to a young man in their early 20s. as long as the seniors keep their body moving.. they don't have to do any crazy excerise but a walk in the morning is good for them. tai chi is a good example too! i think as long as you keep your mind and body busy then youre good. it beats just sitting there and looking out the window!
Old October 14th, 2009, 12:06 PM

It totally agree that seniors need to stay active in there daily lives especially after retirement. Whether its volunteering or working out or planing day trips with other seniors as well. Some cities have senior centers that have special programs mad specifically for senior citizens. They take them to amusement parks and offer them recreational classes.
Old October 31st, 2009, 06:23 PM

I would say speed-walking would be a good idea since they are keeping their cardiovascular systems in check, and they are not doing high-impact exercises. Tai Chi, I think, and other exercises that improve flexibility would also be a great idea for seniors. Weight Training may not be a good idea, but if they had assistance, it might help, maybe.
Old November 24th, 2009, 04:37 PM

there are many great things to keep seniors active. most community centers also have senior centers which offer classes that are made to be alittle easier but im not 100% sure all citys offer these. also you can usually visit senior assisted living centers and take their senior classes there and it keeps people active. the neighbor whos like 90 gardens all the time to keep active and she usally walks around the block daily so thats what she does to keep active
Old November 25th, 2009, 12:51 PM

My grandmother likes to go walking throughout the neighborhood, and she looks really good. my other grandma chooses not to do that, she is approximately the same age as my first grandma, and she does not look good. I think just as long as you're doing stuff like walking and other low-impact exercises, you'll be set in your old age.
Old December 2nd, 2009, 12:20 PM

I heard the Wii is being used in Nursing homes to help seniors stay active. I myself love playing Wii and my Granny love it too, she's only played tennis with me, and she loves it. It doesn't take alot for seniors to stay active, just walking or moving around in a swimming pool would help out in that area. My gramps stays active by gardening and fixing up the house himself.
Old January 13th, 2010, 05:44 PM

haha no way! are they really well i dont blame them wii is a great form of excerise and its fun so you can play and play.. but yes exercise for the elderly is very esssitenal they need to keep there blood circulating