Contact by Phone 1-213-283-8099
# A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Go Back   Health Food, Vitamin and Supplement Forum > Demographic Groups > Men's Health

Old September 24th, 2009, 11:57 AM
Default Scoliosis

I remember back in 7th grade, the girls had to be checked for scoliosis. We had to bend forward as they checked our spines. I was wondering, how can guys don't have to be checked if i've seen guys who have a tad of scoliosis??
Old September 25th, 2009, 11:41 AM

Men develop scoliosis at diffrent stages than women. and it is usually less common in men than women. my brother is 23 yrs of age and just found out that he has scoliosis and its hard to hear this news because when he was in highschool he would complain of horrible back pain and nobody ever checked him and now 4 yrs later we find out why he has so much pain.
Old September 26th, 2009, 04:09 PM

That's intersting, I never knew men developed it later than women! My sister has scoliosis and I have slight scoliosis. I've heard that some scoliosis can be so severe that surgery is required. That's really scary but I guess it's also good that there are medical methods out there to help scoliosis.
Old September 28th, 2009, 02:21 PM

yeah i remember being checked.. like if you can touch your toes or something like that.. scoliosis must be painful.. i have terrible back pain now.. but im sure its not scoliosis.. probably from just not siting up striaght at work
Old September 30th, 2009, 05:03 PM

ohh man i remember my aunt had it and she had to wear a plastic back brace.. it must be painful. i sloutch alot so i alwasy try to sit up straight but after while i just get uncomfortable and i start to slide slide down. haha
Old December 7th, 2009, 01:09 PM

I remember getting checked for it and actually having it. Its not extreme but its enough difference to require me have therapy. I think guys dont get checked for it because they may develop it later on in their life. Having Scoliosis is not fun at all, sometimes I get back spasms from putting too much strain on it. Its been getting better though, You can bearly tell I have it now and I can actually walk in heels now without falling on my face. Thats thanks to my back brace...I hardly have to wear it anymore too And I really do not miss it.
Old December 8th, 2009, 03:14 PM

yeah i need to start sitting up straight becasue i always sloucht now becaseu i work in a office and literally sit in the chair all day long.. and after awhile my posture is not the best soo i hate it haha its going to make me shorter then i already am
Old December 21st, 2009, 04:20 PM

I think that once the guys hit high school doctors should start checking it out...especially if they play sports. Especially football. It may cause your spine to get even more out of wack. I have scoliosis too so I know how painful it can be if it goes unattended. Its supposed to be even worse once you get preganant if your a girl that sucks. But there are guys who have it and dont know.
Old February 24th, 2010, 01:08 PM

Thats a good question I always wondered how come too. I have scoliosis and the doctor keeps telling me that when I have kids or anything like that I will have a rough pregnancy regardless. But I think like Sarai said in High School they check if you're in sports when you get you're physical done. Just incase you have it they put it on your records so if you get hurt during your even the trainer knows more so what problems you have ahead of time.
Old March 6th, 2010, 06:47 PM

I dont know if guys get checked or not for scoliosis, but I'm guessing women have to get checked only of complications later. Like if they get pregnant, or have a big chest size, that may hurt their back even more.

I definately agree that men should get their spines checked if they're doing sports.