Contact by Phone 1-213-283-8099
# A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Go Back   Health Food, Vitamin and Supplement Forum > Demographic Groups > Child and Teen Health

Old September 18th, 2009, 11:33 AM

Question thoughts on child punishment..?

my god daughter has been acting up and not lisiting. the parents refuse to swat her behind (not hard just to get her attn.) i believe that it helps to teach a child when there is some "action" taken when a child misbehaves. i grew up being swatted with a belt, wooden spoon, flip flop.. anything within reach that would hurt alittle but not badly. i learned to listen and respect my parents.. where as friends who were raised only on timeout seem to disobey their parents when we were younger.. what are your ideas on child punishment? whats to harsh? what is your forms of child punishment? any tips?
Old October 9th, 2009, 01:22 PM

i believe in spanking a childs behind, long as you do not leave a hand print. once it gets that hard i feel it becomes to harsh of a punishment when that child is still real young. they are other forms of punishment aswell such as time out, if the child is old enought to understand right from wrong taking away certain toys or play time.. there are so many diffrent things that can be done.
Old October 16th, 2009, 05:38 PM

Default Up to the parents

Honestly, this is really up to the parents. Doing anything to punish the child that they do not agree with is going to cause a lot of problems between you and the parents, if you ask me. Psychology suggests that the child will act out for a number of reasons. I believe that if you explain to the child what was wrong about their behavior you might get further than giving them a slap. Time outs are very effective but you must keep a firm watch on them to ensure they are getting a time out.
Old October 20th, 2009, 02:47 PM

it all depends on the parents, a new study says not to hit or spank you child because it will only teach them to be violent. i think alot of things very on the child some understand and learn from getting a spanken while others learn best from time out and a explaination.
Old October 21st, 2009, 12:06 PM

Ideally its up to what the parents think is best for their child, but there is nothing wrong with spanking. I was spanked when I was younger alot actually but that was mostly because I was a trouble maker. Time outs never worked for me because it wasn't a real punishment. I'll go sit in the corner and play my own little game or fall asleep. I never got bored or anything, i had a vivid imagination too so that made it worse.
Old October 21st, 2009, 05:19 PM

well... i agree it has to di with the parents and how they chose to punish there children. growing up i was spanked.. when i did things wrong with a belt or a hand.. but i was punished. as i got older tho it stopped and although i hated it when it happened it taught me my lession its funny how things work out in certain ways
Old October 22nd, 2009, 03:41 PM

my sisters and i never been spanked before when we were growing up. i have to admit.. when my little 4 year old brother is acting up.. i spank his bottom. not with force.. but to let him know that he is misbehaving. i would never hit my kid with belts or sticks.. that's just my perference. action should be taken but too an extent. when you leave marks.. that's a big no no.
Old November 25th, 2009, 12:37 PM

I do think that when raising a child, a slap on the bbottom or with a belt would be fine, I think. I don't think it was abuse at all, you were disciplining the child. Imagine if a kid wasn't smacked like that, I think personally, you would know your place instead of complaining or crying about not getting the latest cell phone IMO.m
Old December 1st, 2009, 03:30 PM

i also believe that children should be spanked but then not hard enough to cause alot of pain just hard enough so they can be awear of what they did and how it is wrong. i feel if you havent been swatted most children do not learn adn they do not listen to their parents.
Old December 21st, 2009, 03:14 PM

A little spanking here and there when I was younger was what kept me in line. I dont think its such a bad method to use to get a point across. I know for the fact the kids who through tantrums in public were the ones who got time outs at home. I knew better than to act out in public. All I needed to behave was a look from my mom and I was in check. Sometime I still get that look and it has the same affect lol.