Contact by Phone 1-213-283-8099
# A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Go Back   Health Food, Vitamin and Supplement Forum > Demographic Groups > Seniors' Health

Old September 10th, 2009, 03:19 PM

Default How do you guys feel about this?

i don't like seeing my grandfather in the nursing home. he hates it there. it breaks my heart to see him in there. i swear, when i'm successful with my life.. i'm going to let him live with me so i can take care of him myself.

i mean don't get me wrong, some people have to be there.. and some are just there because no one wants to take care of them. so overall, how do you guys feel about putting your old of age parents or grandparents in a nursing home?
Old September 26th, 2009, 04:01 PM

Default nursing home

If I could, I would never put my parents in a nursing home either. My parents actually have told me they do not want to be in one and in my culture it is very ungrateful to put your parents in a nursing home. I DO understand there are circumstances where people can not help it so I'm not saying nursing homes are wrong for everyone. But I think my parents took care of me when I was too young to take care of myself, the least I can do is take care of them when they are too old to take care of themselves.
Old October 7th, 2009, 02:17 PM

if i can avoid placing my parents in a nursing home by all means I would try. After all they did take care of me for all of my life so I should be there for them when they need me most. I agree some people need the special assistance that their family might not be able to supply and thats understandable. But if you are able to financially and physically support and take care of a family member nearing old age you should.
Old October 9th, 2009, 12:25 PM

nursing homes are always a sad place to go, i remember when i was young my family and neighbors would gather and go sing christmas carols for the seniors around christmas time to lighten up their days, it was nice to see them smile and be happy and sing along. i sadly have seen my grandparents in nursing homes but they were a special one because they were in critical condition and needed to have access to oxgyn and other things we could not provide them with if they were at home, my granddad died in a nursing home because they gave him medicine and he was allergic to it and it caused his death.. so please please if ur family is placed in a home watch over him/her closely.
Old October 15th, 2009, 06:14 PM

i understand that some people do have to go to a nursing home because they need professional help (although they aren't always as 'professional' as you think). but i would never put my parents in a nursing home if i don't have too. i love my parents and they took really good care of me. the best thing i can do for them is doing the favor back.
Old October 31st, 2009, 07:22 PM

If anything, I hate to see them in a nursing home...they would feel like they are abandoned by their family, which makes sense. However, I think that for some people, it is a necessity, especially when some of those people do not listen to their family even when they try to take care of them.

I have to say if we had the chance, we would try to take care of them,a nd only do the nursing home unless it was absolutely necessary.
Old November 14th, 2009, 02:51 PM

I would want to hire a nurse to take care of them from my home, but it depends. If they need a lot of medical care, then a nursing home is the best bet. Or say they don't get along with your kids then I would have to make that choice. Also, I don;t think they are all bad. After all nursing homes do provide them with company there own age and activities they would enjoy. Its hard to tell.
Old November 18th, 2009, 05:54 PM

i would feel horribe putting my grandparents in a home espeically if they were really unhappy. but sometimes liek you said its for the best.. and its for there health need as well.. but my freind her grandma lives with them and she has dementia .. and let me tell you.. i see the suggle they go through every single day.. its sad.. its terrible and it puts a tear in the family.. but they do it every single day.
Old November 25th, 2009, 12:53 PM

While I would not want to do that to my grandparents, I can see it as a necessity or some families whether the person has a disease or a mental illness that requires the aid of a nursing home. On top of that, I relaly hate that it's so costly to take care of someone because I would personally want to keep my grandparents in my home, but we simply cannot afford to watch her 24/7.
Old December 2nd, 2009, 12:11 PM

Its great that you're even considering to have your grandfather move in with you and take care of him.

I wouldn't put my grandparents in a nursing home if I had the ability to take care of themself. Some people do need to professional assistance but if my grandparents' only reason for being placed in there because they were old then I would try to provide for them myself.