Contact by Phone 1-213-283-8099
# A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Go Back   Health Food, Vitamin and Supplement Forum > Health and Wellness > Fitness and Exercise

Old September 8th, 2009, 04:53 PM

Default A beginner at this workout thing

okay i'm not really the type to really work out. so i'm giving it a try. i never workout ever in my life. as in.. no running at the park, no sit ups, no nothing. i don't know i just never had to motiviation. i want to start now just so i can be a good shape for my own sake. what should i start with first? a light run? should i change my complete diet? HELP!
Old September 12th, 2009, 05:31 PM

I would start off with just walking. That can make a big difference by itself. And then you can gradually start running or a combo of running/walking is always good. You probably won't have to completely change your diet. Just make small changes. Try eating 4-6 small meals a day rather than 3 big meals. And try slowly cutting out junk food and replacing it with healthier foods.
Old September 19th, 2009, 01:23 PM

The biggest advice I can give when you start to work out is to go slow. The first day you work out at the gym opr when you're running, you should test yourself to see what your abilities are...so I would start with finding out what your weight max is in various exercises (Bench Press + Situps, the works), and then once you figure out what to do, you need to figure out a workout plan.

Since you said you're not in good shape and you want to be, I would say you should focus primarily on cardiovascular activity (Aerobics exercises) as well as endurance training (High reps, low weights) when it comes to the workout machines so you can tone your muscles, not make them bigger.

That'd be my recommendation
Old October 16th, 2009, 05:26 PM

Default Agreed

I agree that you need to start off slow. I would also add doing some research. What is around you that you can do as far as outdoor activities. If it is three feet of snow in the winder than your going to need a new workout plan then and that isnt fun. So try finding some things you enjoy and why not grab a friend and get them into this with you?! studies show that when you have a partner your more likely to stick with it!
Old November 6th, 2009, 03:15 PM

Yeah I agree with everyone else to start off slow. Just start with maybe a small jog around your neighborhood and then gradually move up to running like a mile a day and then just gradually increase that. Also if you have a dog or something than you can take it running maybe it will motivate you more. If you are more of a swimming person and want to add that to your workou than you can start off with a few laps and then increase once your body is more comfortable with it.
Old November 7th, 2009, 04:29 PM

Why don't you start by trying to figure out ways to motivate yourself. Instead of looking at working out as something not fun, you can just join groups or classes that are active. For example, I took up ballroom dancing. its a great work out and its so much fun that I don't even think I am working out. Also, if you can get a friend to do stuff with you, you'd have twice the reason to get started!
Old December 11th, 2009, 04:15 PM

Yeah I am pretty much a beginner too. It is just so hard to motivate myself to workout especially now that it is getting colder. I just really dont feel like even moving. I just want to stay in bad all the time haha. but I definitely think that starting off slow is a good idea. Maybe I can just start walking my dog more that will probably will get myself in habit of going out and working out.
Old December 16th, 2009, 10:56 AM

You shouldnt off that bat drastically change your diet...because it can cause you to be discouraged and loose discipline when its needed. So if you slowly change your diet it would be alot better and you'll tend to stick with it more. Working out for some people is a pain. But if you can find something that you enjoy doing thats active would make the transition so much easier and a lot more fun for you. If you an out doorsy person maybe go hicking or bike riding or jogging...if you like gyms and stuff like that maybe take a kick boxing class even a dance class can help you loos weight. I lost so much weight taking Salsa it was so shocking...
Old December 21st, 2009, 11:33 AM

One thing that I think you should do is gradually work your way up to a hard intense workout. Dont start out hard because then you're going to be descouraged easily. Start out simple then when you're body gets used to actually working out some then you can do more stuff. Remember to always stretch before each workout and to cool down after each workout.
Old December 30th, 2009, 01:04 PM

You should start out with the basic and more simplier way which is to just go for a light run...eventually you can work your way up to dieting and a more brisk work out. But for now since you want to stay motivated start out small then work up big. You dont want to be discouraged or see it as a huge burden on you...you want to feel good about doing it...just set some goals and build up to achieve them...GOOD LUCK!!!!