Contact by Phone 1-213-283-8099
# A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Go Back   Health Food, Vitamin and Supplement Forum > Fragrances & Beauty > Hair & Nail

Old September 8th, 2009, 04:38 PM

Default Square Nails.

so i'm tired of going to get my nails done. not to mention every time i get them done and when i take them off they make my nail bed really really weak. i feel like a big chunk of my real nail just disappeared. so i want to start working with my real nail. is there a specific way i should file my nail to make them into a square shape? any file in particular i should use?

thank you.
Old September 12th, 2009, 05:54 PM

I've heard that the glass nail files work really well but they are kind of pricey. So I just use normal files, but I've heard the metal kind (like the ones that are on nail clippers) can rip or tear your nails. And just remember to file your nail in one direction. Don't file back and forth because it will just end up tearing your nail.
Old September 14th, 2009, 11:35 AM

yes exactly after the nails come off.. my fingers look terrible.. i always file them and put clear nailpolish on them so they look better.. not to mention they are super weak.
Old October 20th, 2009, 03:15 PM

yes make sure when you file you nails you do not saw back and fourth only in one direction. its pretty easy you might also want to buy a nail growth formula to make your nails grow a little faster so that way they can be as long as fake nails but just be your real nails. i have also found that there is a sally hansen brand clearcoat nail hardner with acrylic in it so it helps make your nail strong and it works alittle like a fake nail but nowhere near as thick.! good luck
Old October 28th, 2009, 10:04 AM

I have the same problem when I wear the fake nails and take them off. My nails take atleast a week to recover from pulling them off. As to wanting to use you're own nails, I solute you LOL. I also heard that the glass filers work really good. NEVER EVER use metal fillers they mess up your nails worse than the acrylic sometimes. Some fillers come with an instructional guide for filling nails, well atleast the really expensive ones do. But i'm pretty sure you can get a regular instructional guide off the internet. Good Luck!!
Old October 30th, 2009, 04:30 PM

I had no idea that metal nail filers are bad i also use them when I cut my nails haha. o well I do have a glass nail filier and it does work really well. So yeah I definitely would suggest you get one. They can be kind of pricey but I definitely think it is worth it. and yeah if you want your nails to look like the acrylic ones then i suggest getting like nail strenghtening nail polish so when you grow your nails out they wont break that easily. also i think there is the option of going to nail salons and they can do it for you because yeah they can do natural nails too.
Old December 4th, 2009, 05:22 PM

Default nails

I also heard that glass files are great to use to file your nails. But you can always go to nail salons even if you dont want get arcylic nails. They can file and paint your real nails for you especially if you really dont know how to make them look nice. Like you could go once and see how they do it and then just go home and copy the way they did it.
Old December 8th, 2009, 06:03 PM

the most important tip to remember when filing your nails is only file in one direction not back and fourth because that actually tears your nail and it causes them to chip and crack when you file them. i love going any getting my nails done i have finally learned to grow them out and i have gained skills on how to paint them and designthem so they look like i had jsut got them done. but when i want to relax u go to the salon and have them done.
Old February 10th, 2010, 03:59 PM

You don't have to get acrylics all the time. Just go to the salon and get a regular manicure and they'll pay special attention to your beat up nails if yuo ask them too. And then you can choose you're color and they'll paint your nails for you as well. But I totally understand.....I've never done salon acrylic nails but My friend gets hers done all the time and they mess up her natural nails bad. But I do my own acrylic...and it doen't get that messed up...Some of the glue gets left behind...but thats about it.
Old February 10th, 2010, 04:32 PM

yeah i do the same thing i stopped getting arycillc after whilei actually have them on now.. but its literally the first time in forever i wanna say like ayear in a half. so yeah.anyways the same thing happens to my nails they are alwasys super brittle and look horrible after