Contact by Phone 1-213-283-8099
# A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Go Back   Health Food, Vitamin and Supplement Forum > Demographic Groups > Child and Teen Health

Old June 4th, 2010, 01:23 PM

Default child negelect.

so this case i heard about took place in chicago during winter break. there was a nine year old girl and her 4yr old sister.. the parents decided that they needed a vacation and so they left the nine yr old and 4 yr old home alone with the alarm set, fridge full of food and clean clothes. they were into this 10 days went the bath tub would not turn off so it resulted in the girl asking her neighbor for help. well he called the authoritys and they came and got the children.. sounds like negelect right.. well the court ruled that it was ok to like a 9yr old and a 4yr old home alone for two weeks and it not be called negelect? does anybody else think that the parents should have had to deal with some form of punishment for leaving these young children home alone??
Old June 5th, 2010, 01:39 PM

Personally, I think I agree. While I would imagine that a child can take of a younger child, 9 years old is way too young personally, I'd say that a child should have to be at least 13 before they're allowed to be alone, and especially take care of another young kid. And 13 is pushing my personal limit.

At least, that's what I think
Old June 7th, 2010, 12:37 PM

i was not allowed to stay home alone until i was probably 13 years old simply because my parents wanted to make sure i was able to take care of my self and know how to handle a situation if something happpend to me. i never had to watch another child until i was at least 16 that way i could drive them somewhere if something bad happened. but yea i think that it is child neglect.
Old June 8th, 2010, 12:37 PM

yes and no.. becasue i mean who leaves their children alone for 10 days! they could have had a babysitter stay or a relative.. but at the same time you dont know the details.. i mean the judge couldnt have just ruled that without any explination.. maybe the parents called everyday,, maybe the parents had ppl check up on thier kids.. idunno.. buit either way i do think 9 is too young i have a 10 yr old sister and shes doesnt do anything for her self .. soo yeah a 9 yr old taking care of a 4 yr old
Old June 9th, 2010, 05:48 PM

im going to have to goole this and check the article becasue this si the first time im hearing of this and it sounds like their is alot more too this case then what meets the eye,,. becasue how can jufge or juty come to that final concluuion
Old June 10th, 2010, 03:37 PM

i have a cousin that is 9 years old and i cannot imagine him talking care of himself without my grandma being away. that's ridiciolous. i really do think that they parents should seek some kind of punishment. i seriously cannot believe that those parents can do such selfish things -_-
Old June 11th, 2010, 02:02 PM

im really hoping that is a made up story simply because i cant see any loving parent that would leave their child un attended for 10 days.. seriously thats bad parenting in my eyes. ask the neighbor or some one to check on them maybe but still a 9yr old babysitting a 4yr old. that is one big responcibility for a 9yr old. what if the 4yr old choked on a toy or something.. idk thats just kinda sketchy to me...
Old June 18th, 2010, 02:48 PM

For a child to be left behind for ten days is one thing. If the child is old enough, and is able to take care of themselves, then that's one thing. But another child taking care of another child alone for ten days? That is just too much, that is just extremely bad parenting in my opinion, really really bad parenting.