Contact by Phone 1-213-283-8099
# A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Go Back   Health Food, Vitamin and Supplement Forum > Demographic Groups > Women's Health

Old December 15th, 2009, 05:21 PM

Default Std?

ok im wondering if a baby can get an std when their born if the mother had an std before the child was born but it was cleared up.. is it still possible for a child to contract what ever the mother had? if so what are the likly hood that the baby could have gotten it and had no signs of ever having the std? im curious because my friend told me his mom had and std when she was younger and i thought maybe he got it when he was going through the birth process? he says he has been tested and he is std free. idk i still worrie for him. and if he does have something can he spread it to his gf?
Old December 16th, 2009, 01:03 PM

Slow down there lol...if he was tested and cleared then he's fine. My aunt is an OBGYN and I've asked her this exact question...its a good one I admit. She said that they wont even risk it they'll just do a C section regardless...some mothers perferr it also. That way the baby doens't get it. Sometimes if its not detected or not on file that the mom has an STD and a vaginal birth is performed the baby can have an herpy infection of the eye or something like that.
Old December 16th, 2009, 03:50 PM

yeah it is a good question/ but i dont think tis likely right? i mean if its cleared up and she had it clearned before she had the baby?? tyhen the child should be alright.

idunno i think im going to look it up becasue like you said its a great question and i would really like to know becasue most stds can be cured. unlike. a virus. such as aids or hiv
Old January 30th, 2010, 06:40 PM

I think a LONG LONG LONG time ago, I heard of something like that where a kid got an STD through birth, but I wasn't sure about the validity of it, considering it was something I heard off-hand, and it was a long while ago.

I'd go see the doctor to find out for sure. I wouldn't think so since I would imagine there are tons of mothers who have STDs and have given birth to kids and they are just fine.
Old February 2nd, 2010, 06:36 PM

i think it all just really depends on what the std is.. i mean if its cureable then i think their fine but yea i had heard the same thing that if you get an std then you can pass it on to a baby threw the birthing process and if the mother contracts one while prego they will preforme a c section that way they do not risk haveing the baby get anything when going threw the birth canal.
Old March 6th, 2010, 06:32 PM

Now, I don't think there is a possibility that a child can get a STD by being born, but I would doublecheck just to be 100% sure, and if there is apossibility, see if you can minimize the risk somehow. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry.
Old April 5th, 2010, 03:25 PM

well you said he was tested for std's correct? well if he was tested then he should be fine, if he hasent been tested then yea he could get infected with something but other than that i dont think that there will be a problem. to be compleatly safe he should just wear a condom to be on the safe side.
Old April 12th, 2010, 01:44 PM

if he has been tested then i really wouldnt worrie about him contracting them from his mother but he can contract them to other people that he hooks up with. its pretty inssane that your worring so much about him. its crazy but anyways once a person is tested and cleared there is nothing to worrie about.
Old November 16th, 2010, 04:14 PM

what a great question. i'm happy that i came to this thread and found out the particulars. i'm always worried if having an std can contract to the baby. but doing a c-section makes a lot of sense. lol. i'm sure you're friend is fine. if he got chcked and it says that he's okay than i'm sure he'll be fine =)