Contact by Phone 1-213-283-8099
# A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Go Back   Health Food, Vitamin and Supplement Forum > Demographic Groups > Child and Teen Health

Old September 8th, 2009, 05:13 PM

Default Appendix

what is it really for? my little brother, who is 4 years old, recently had to get it removed. i know having your appendix taken out is common but i personally never met someone that took it out before. so i'm wondering.. like everyone is.. what is it for? some people said it's useless and some people say there is actually a purpose it is there.. does it cause any problems in the future? i read somewhere online that it can cause the "runs" sometimes. is that true also? thank you!
Old September 10th, 2009, 02:48 PM

Awww.. poor little brother. 4 year old and getting his appendix removed? that's really really young. How is he now? Doing good i hope, doing all the things a 4 year old should. i don't even know what appendix is for either. But i'm sure if you google it you'll find something on it. Good luck to your search and hope your brother is doing good now.
Old September 26th, 2009, 05:16 PM

Recent studies are suggesting that the appendix might be involved in storing good bacteria. I found this information somewhere on the internet. It can play a role in digestion. I had my appendix removied when I was about 22 it was a scary experience for me. But I'm glad it's removed and over with.
Old October 17th, 2009, 06:58 PM

It does have a small role, but its so unimportant that you wont even know its gone. Back in the day it was important for breaking down raw meat and stuff like that, but seeing how we have better eating habits and can cook our food, you really don't need it. I hope your little brother is ok and went through it just fine. As for the future, as long as he has a good diet, he wont even know its gone besides the little scar. Don't kids think those are cool now anyway? lol
Old February 27th, 2010, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coral Lawless View Post
It does have a small role, but its so unimportant that you wont even know its gone. Back in the day it was important for breaking down raw meat and stuff like that, but seeing how we have better eating habits and can cook our food, you really don't need it. I hope your little brother is ok and went through it just fine. As for the future, as long as he has a good diet, he wont even know its gone besides the little scar. Don't kids think those are cool now anyway? lol
Raw Foods, eh?

Hmm.

I didn't know the appendix had that function.....well, I agree, I hope your brother is okay, and he's fine. I went through Appendix Surgery a while back, and it was frightening myself. I will say, it was a good experience, though.
Old March 1st, 2010, 06:53 PM

thatsd a good question! what is it used for im going to google that right now as a matter of fact.. hold on.

okay yeah nothing helps haha and i dont have too much time too look. anyways i hope your brother is doing fine.. and i remember when my sister had to get hers taken out and she was in soo much pain before.. terrible!
Old October 28th, 2009, 10:58 AM

I'm so happy that I never had to go through that. I never had a problem with my appendix. Its weird, almost everyone in my family had theirs removed, but when ever my doctor checked mine he said its fine and i didnt need to take it out. I used to think it was something that everyone got removed, but I guess not since I still have mine. Hopefully I never have to go through that experience. I hope your little brother is doing good, just make sure he eats right!!
Old February 26th, 2010, 02:26 PM

having a young child having surgery is always a big deal. my best friends son just had his removed 2 weeks ago he is two years old. it was so sad seeing him in the hospital and he was laying in this horrible metal looking crib. i looked like a crib out of the old movies it was so sad. but anyways he is fine and he is getting to feeling better!
Old March 6th, 2010, 06:50 PM

Let's see....according to Wikipedia, the appendix has no function, or that it was originally had a function, but it was lost long long ago. Some people say it was used to rbeak down Raw Meat, on Wiki, it said it was used to digest leaves....so it seems it was good for eating.
But eating what, that's the question....I doubt it'll work now. xD
Old April 28th, 2010, 02:56 PM

it amazes me how little the scar has gotten! its crazy before it was like a ya shaped now its literally a little ciricle! crazzyness but yeah i dont knwow hats its there for.. but i still have mine .. and i know alot of people have to get there removed i wonder what triggers it you know..